Thursday, July 27, 2017

The Dear Tula Pink Quilt is Finally Finished

I started my Dear Tula Pink Quilt in 2013 right after I retired and this was going to be the quilt project to make sure I kept my focus on quilting and not waste any of my newly acquired "free time."   
I purchased Tula Pink's 100 Modern Quilt Blocks right after it was published in 2013.  To prepare for this project, I had the book spiral bound, purchased a Moleskine graph paper book to keep track of the blocks and the fabrics used for each block and I even set up a Pinterest board.  I called this project "Dear Tula Pink" because this was going to be, for me, like the "Dear Jane" quilt started by Brenda Papadakis which was very popular at that time, and may still be, and it was the quilt to make for those who like a challenge.
One of my favorite color combinations is black, gray, brown, tan, gold, taupe and beige. I used a mash of Civil War, Asian, Traditional, Modern, Blenders, Florals, Geometrics and Novelty prints for this quilt.  Luckily for me after I pulled these fabrics from my stash, I found a print online of the Skyscrapers which, to me, tied in all of these colors.  I was planning to use this for the borders.

These are some of the blocks which you can see the different fabric types used.

And now for some stories as to how my Dear Tula Pink was made and finally finished after four years.  First of all, I intended to make all 100 of these blocks.  After I had made a few of the blocks, I happened to show them to my two quilt peeps and they wanted to join in--it would be a nice group project they said.  Each one of us would make three of the same blocks and share them with each other. Unfortunately, this idea ended less than a year after one peep made around 30 blocks and the other one whose idea was to do this together only did 21. I ended up making 39 blocks.  I was disappointed, but understood, that the other two peeps didn't have as much time as I did and when you think about it, 39 blocks multiply by four (I made two of each for myself) is 156 blocks and I was getting tired of them, especially making four of the same blocks and they were 6" finished which is too small for me.  I do like to think if I did the project by myself and only made one of each block, I probably could have made all 100 blocks.
After the decision was made to discontinue making the blocks. I made this quilt using some of the blocks made by one peep based on one of the layout ideas in the book.  I used two shades of dyed muslin and a colorful stripe fabric I had in my stash.  It's only a coverlet, no batting, just a backing of tan corduroy with light quilting.

It took me around two years to finally come up with the layout for my blocks and the funny story is that I had just finished putting together my Gypsy Wife blocks last year and if you are familiar with this pattern, the blocks are set in strips of fabric which I just didn't want to do (I was mentally exhausted after making those GW blocks) so my blocks were laid in a Sampler layout.  But with my Dear Tula Pink quilt, I wanted to set these blocks with fabric strips and solid pieces of the Skyscraper print.  After a couple of false starts this year, I finally quilted Dear Tula Pink with straight line quilting using a variegated black, brown and tan thread.

While I was finishing up this quilt and I was on Pinterest, I noticed that someone had pinned one of the blocks I had on my Dear Tula Pink Project board.  It turned out it was a block made by my dear quilt blog friend Susan Snooks, PatchworknPlay, and I had probably pinned before we became friends.  I noticed her block had similar colors and fabrics like my quilt so I went on her blog to find her finished quilt and I was amazed at the similarities between our two quilts using the same colors and fabric designs and that her blocks were laid out in the skyline layout (remember I featured a Skyscraper print in my quilt).  I sent a message to Susan asking her for the link to her quilt so you can check it out for yourself: Susan's City Skyline Quilt.  Pretty freaky, don't you think?  Susan started and finished her City Skyline quilt in 2013.  Too bad I didn't know her back then, maybe I would have made more blocks, we definitely could have shared blocks.

On my Minus 100 Yard Challenge, I guess I shouldn't have been so over confident that I could reach this goal, maybe I should have tried for a Minus 10 Yard Challenge instead.  In defense of my fabric purchases so far this month, all I can say it's July and that means sizzling Sidewalk Sales.  Sadly I didn't have to leave the house to make my purchases.

Previous YTD Total:   -49.125 yards
Current YTD Total:    -38.125 yards

Linking up with:

My Quilt Infatuation: Needle and Thread Thursday
Crazy Mom Quilts:Finish It Up Friday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict:  Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?
Busy Hands Quilts:  Finish Or Not Friday


26 comments :

  1. What a story! The thing that puts me off the City Sampler is the size of the blocks so I'm with you on that front. I prefer things to come together a bit quicker than that! You've made a great version and congratulations on finishing! Oh those sales - I know what you're saying! Happy resisting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I really think the blocks should have been bigger like 9" or 12" to showcase the larger prints like the ones designed by Tula. I'm still having trouble resisting even after the sales.

      Delete
  2. I love your version Rose! That skyscraper fabric is perfect! And what fun we would have had swapping blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suz! I'm glad the quilt is done. One day we're going to swap blocks but be warned my sewing is not as nice as yours.

      Delete
  3. Oh Rose, that is a fabulous quilt! I love the colors, and the skyscraper fabric is a great find and does tie everything in! I have definitely acquired more fabric lately, and I'm going to the fabric store again today! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I'm still buying too! Can't wait to see your purchases.

      Delete
  4. Rose I love that you stuck with getting Tula done. Not sure if I would have made it to a completed quilt. It is gorgeous and I do love those colors. You know I have a challenge picking colors but those are beautiful. Congratulations on another finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I don't have a good record of finishing QAL or BOM, I'm good at finding an alternative in order to finish them. I still have one that's over 10 years old and most of the blocks are done--still figuring out what to do with them--talk about a thorn in your brain.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to find such a perfect fabric as the skyscraper. This is so weird, I'm busy making the Tula Pink blocks just now, I have about 21 made so far. I just go through the book and make whichever ones appeal, when I get to the end I will count them up and decide a layout and work out if I need to make any more. In that case I will go through again and make the number I need, or if I have any left they will become cushions maybe. The coincidence? I'm about to start Gypsy Wife next week with Gnome Angel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, I've read your blog and saw you were making the Tula and GW blocks --You Sew Girl! I'll be looking forward to seeing your finishes.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations for finishing it finally! I don't know what a Dear Jane quilt is ... but yours is beautiful, and the colors are so interesting and so very different from anything I've ever seen for the Tula Pink City Sampler block. The coverlet you made with the orphan blocks is really gorgeous too, did you get to keep it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. It was fun combining all of the different fabrics. The coverlet I gave as a retirement gift. Have you ever sewn with dyed muslin, it quilts really nice and comes in a lot of different colors.

      Delete
  7. Hi Rose,
    You aren't kidding that you and Susan used a similar color palette - wow! I am a huge fan of those colors although I have never made a quilt using them all together. Really nice job, and you should feel proud that you finished it successfully. I see the Merry QAL in your sidebar - are you participating in that? I am! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne. I've used that color palette on a lot of other quilts and I think it's because our late great dog Pluto was a Bluetick Coonhound and those were his colors. Yes, I'm participating in the Merry QAL and have my Christmas Cotton+Steel fabrics ready. Thank goodness they're 12" blocks, those 6" blocks are not my favorite.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful quilt, I love the controlled palette! The 6" blocks would have got to me in the end too! I'm 1/2 way through my 2nd GW, but seem to have lost enthusiasm for it, off now to check out your version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. 6" blocks are not my favorite. You are very brave for doing another GW quilt. I think it's funny my GW is a sampler and this year's Jen Kingwell quilt is a sampler--those finishing stripes--my brain couldn't handle them.

      Delete
  9. Oh, wow! You made a superbly successful mashup of Tula blocks, the Gypsy-wife-type layout, and your own personal color scheme. I am in love with your finish. :D :D :D I also really like what you did with the rainbowy-colored set of blocks. In Florida, I wouldn't have wanted many quilts with betting in them - coverlet style is perfect there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynette. My Tula stripes were way lot simpler than the GW stripes. My other Tula quilt was a challenge with making sure the blocks were aligned so it took some time--I really don't like sashing without cornerstones. Coverlets are nice, I've backed some tops with Minky--no batting is a great way to finish a quilt.

      Delete
  10. THAT quilt--! I, too am making the Tula Pink quilt, started 2 years ago, 2 blocks of each, so each daughter will get a quilt. I'm about 15? in LOL times 2 is 30. Need to get back at it, but the Canadian Women QAL with its 6" blocks, 3 a week is plenty right now. I checked out Susan's version and whoa! So similar...but I like yours better; it's just stunning and so unusual and those colours just terrific. Now I spied the Christmas in July quilt in the previous post, so going to take a look-see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! Those 6" blocks are not my favorite size to make plus I think the modern blocks would have been better being 12" to showcase the fabrics more. I'm glad the quilt is done. I can't wait to see your blocks, are you planning on making all 100?

      Delete
  11. Congratulations Rose! Your Dear Tula Pink is wonderful. I love the richness of the fabrics. I enjoyed reading your story, isn't it amazing how the quilting universe connects people?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abbie! How are you and are you settled in your new place? I love Blogland, it's the best neighborhood for a quilter. The only problem is you think your friends are next door but some are across the ocean. It would be fun to meet them face to face.

      Delete
    2. We are settling in well, thanks for asking Rose :). I know what you mean, I daydream of travels to visit all the wonderful people I meet in blogland, like you :)

      Delete
  12. I agree with you - 6" is a small block. I like big blocks and I cannot lie. There is plenty of inspiration and support in the blogging universe. Congratulations on a fabulous finish. This makes a very manly quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Preeti! Good to hear from you, I haven't seen you much around the blogs so I've been thinking you're busy working on your MBS project. And I'm with you, I like Big Blocks with not so many pieces.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.