Thursday, November 16, 2017

Some Show and Tell Before I Take A Holiday Break

Now that my commitment to the Blanket Ministry has been met, the rush to complete my other projects before the end of the year is on.  This past weekend was a productive one and I must have been still working off of the adrenalin from completing the six baby quilts from last week.
It's great to have another quilt cross the finally finish line and in time for the holiday. I sewed the binding for the quilt made from this past summers 12 Days of Christmas QAL hosted by Sarah Craig of Confessions of a Fabric Addict,  you can read the post here.  Jan, my longarm quilter, again did a wonderful job. While I was making the top, we were experiencing crazy hot weather with lots of rain and now the weather is still sort of unpredictable, cold, rainy and cloudy.  I think the days of taking photos outside when it's sunny are going to be few and far between. 
This is one of the few quilts I've made which has a pieced backing and I used scraps from this project and from stash.  I think the reason why I don't like to piece my backs is the time it takes to make a backing to fit the top; it's like making another quilt top. My son, who held the quilt up for me while I took the photo, does not have the same knack as his father who has earned the title of Master Quilt Holder because father knows how to lower himself so his shoes doesn't show, made the comment that he liked the back of the quilt better than the front of the quilt.  The son also does not have his father's knack for knowing what to say about my quilts.  
The quilt is already hung up in the family room  thanks to father and son who knew I was taking their photo to provide some beefcake to liven up today's post.
The sewing and layout for the Splash of Color QAL blocks, hosted by Myra of Busy Hands Quilts,  you can read about it here was also done this past weekend.  I still have to decide on the sashing and once the top is made, I can write more details about the making of this quilt.  Just to give you a heads up, this quilt was supposed to be pinwheels.
Last month in early October, I attended a Kaffe Fassett workshop and the blocks have been hanging on my design board since then.  I finally sewed the blocks together and added the border and cornerstones.  I needed the design board so I could lay out the Splash of Color  blocks and also was afraid that someone or something was going to knock the blocks off. Here's a sneak peek of the top with the luscious purple Minky which I'll be throwing together and will write a future post about my wonderful Kaffe experience once the throw is completed.  I was tempted to finish it yesterday when the Minky arrived and do a late nighter but decided not to push it since I had to get the house ready for the holiday.
And speaking of taking a holiday break, here is my precious granddaughter who is providing the cupcake to this post to sweeten it up.  Micah will be occupying most of my time when she and her parents arrive this weekend for an eight-day visit.  I don't think I'll have too much time to sew, and if I do, it's probably be something for her.  With this sweet face she's going to get pretty much what she wants.  As you can see, Micah already has the pout down pretty good.

I hope you have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving  next week. I am grateful that I will be spending the holiday with family and friends and am thankful for the many things life has brought me this year.
Happy Thanksgiving!

41 comments :

  1. Wow, a lot going on! I love both the front an back of your festive quilt, but piecing the backing makes it double-sided, thus justifying your son's comments about liking the back better :) I'm totally, totally in love with your Splash of Color quilt. It is so beautiful, and I can't wait to see it completed!

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I can see whose side you're on :] As much as I'm enjoying my time with Micah, I can't wait to finish the Splash of Color quilt. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving too.

      Delete
  2. Your Christmas quilt is beautiful! And the splash of color quilt is coming along nicely. I almost always piece my backs, unless I am under time constraint. Not the whole back, but at least a strip to give the back some character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon. I'm still on the fence with pieced backing since I buy a lot of yardage when it's on sale so sewing just one seam is ideal for me. I can wait to get some sewing done, I'm going through a little withdrawal after two days. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  3. All beautiful quilts. You really have been busy. Yes, I will also miss the fair weather to make good outdoors photos. Sending happy Thanksgiving wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danice. I do like taking my photos outdoor and not looking forward to posting the dark indoor photos. And thank you for the Thanksgiving wishes, I hope you have one too.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to see that finished 12 Days of Christmas. I love that one and it is so big. Micah is ready to some loving, I am sure you are too excited for 8 full days of snuggly fun. Please enjoy that time together with your family. I am thankful to have met you through the new bloggers group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! I am getting in some loving time with Micah; she's just too adorable. I hope you and your family have a nice Thanksgiving and I, too, am thankful to have found a problem sister through blogging this year. Here's to more fun trouble next year. hee hee!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful quilts! Nice beefcake too. And that pout - wow, she is a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. You know that's Tom, son of Smitten on the left. I think he's the one who taught Micah how to pout.

      Delete
  7. Fun post, Rose, and I love your quilts, even if the one was supposed to be a pinwheel (heehee). Sometimes quilts just have a mind of their own! Enjoy your time with that precious little Micah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. Wait until you read my explanation of how these pinwheels un-happened. Too bad Micah wasn't here sooner, I could have used her as an excuse. I'm enjoying my time with her, can't convince her parents to leave her with me when they go home.

      Delete
  8. Love your splash of color!! Your "men" story made me laugh! And Micah--kiss those cute little cheeks for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I guess I rather laugh over men than cry. I've kissed Micah's cheeks many times and can't stop. I can't wait to work on Splash of Color.

      Delete
  9. Love your grandaughter's face - what a look! Those quilts are pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally! Micah definitely has a lot of looks, all of them I love. Her smiles are the best.

      Delete
  10. Your comments about father and son made me laugh out loud! I read that paragraph to my DH so he understands the trials and tribulations of other Master Quilt Holders :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! Let's hope our Master Quilt Holders don't decide to form an union. Wouldn't it be funny to do a post of Men or Significant Others Behind Our Quilts?

      Delete
  11. Your quilts are just beautiful - and how handy to have your men hang that one up for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. Yes, it's very handy to have men hanging around! :]

      Delete
  12. OH MY GOSH! That Kaffe Fassett project with the luscious purple Minky. . . !! :D :D Can't wait to see the whole, but glad you get to spend a nice, long time with your family. Cute grandbaby! And hooray for the TATW finish - I like its colors, and although I like the front more than the back (grin), it is a cool back, so you can't blame the "boy" for liking it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynette. I'm looking forward to finishing up some projects, especially the Kaffe throw, but I can't complain about stopping since it involves my sweet granddaughter. And as for my boy, leave it to him for not appreciating the work that went behind (pardon the pun) the making of the front, I may have to give him some quilt lessons--won't that be fun.

      Delete
  13. Your splash of quilt is great. The black and white makes the colors pop. Your granddaughter is beautiful! Kids learn early about pouting. When I was in college I learned "kids wear their personalities on their sleeve" meaning they don't hide their feelings. She's learned pouting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I read your comment to my son and daughter-in-law and asked them to give me a "pout" face--hmm, Micah's pout is from her mother.

      Delete
  14. Wow, you've been very productive. Your quilts are all gorgeous, so colourful and happy. I am on the same page as you with backings ... when the top is done, I don't have much patience for piecing a backing Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It's good to know that someone else doesn't like piecing backs too, although I'll admit it's a good way to use up the scraps from the project. Just as bad is having to iron the backs-ugh! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

      Delete
  15. Wonderful post, Rose! As I read it, I could feel a bit of urgency in my bones. People "get the house ready." What? lol Rather than clean up for them, I wait and clean up after them! (Let's just say my house has a "lived in" look and leave it at that.)
    I'm loving your Kaffe Fassett quilt and especially the Splash of Color one. The moment I saw Splash, I had that why haven't I thought of that moment.
    Enjoy the pouty one! If she was practicing her pout for this week, she's nailed it. That is one cute little face, and I'm betting she will want for nothing this week. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! What ironic about getting the house ready is that it's for my son and his family and I don't think they notice because as soon as they arrive it looks like a bomb exploded in my house. And yes, it is double work because you have to clean after they leave. I am enjoying the little cutie who's making a lot of faces and they come with vocals now. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too!

      Delete
  16. I love your finishes and love that you do blanket ministry. I too, need to step up my donor quilts as I have a lot of stash to work through, and it is something I believe in. Enjoy Micah Rose’s visit, as I am sure you will. Hope to be sewing tomorrow (Sunday) - I think I am a little late commenting here, but then again I am the snob sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen! Making quilts for the Ministry and for others is a nice way to justify and to use up the stash. I'm enjoying Micah's visit, although I'm having a little withdrawal--I may get a little time when she goes visiting with her Mom and Dad tomorrow. Don't worry about being a Snob, I understand. Happy Gobble Day!

      Delete
  17. She's a cutie! Rose, way to go, you are so productive! Beautiful finished quilt and works in progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige! I've got to keep the momentum going although I'll admit I'm finally feeling tired now. Good thing Micah is here to give me a different kind of energy. BTW, she's heavy for an almost 8 month old.

      Delete
  18. Your quilts are always inspiring Rose! The Splash of Color blocks are really interesting. It’s going to be so good when it’s finished. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suz! I'm surprise but happy to see your comment. I hope you are resting well and I see that you are making good use of your beautiful cushion--now I understand why they should be called that.

      Delete
  19. WOW, I am loving your Splash of Color pieces. Anxious to see it finished and hear the back story!Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I'm anxious to get the top finished too and tell the story of how this quilt turned out they way it did. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

      Delete
  20. Wonderful quilts, so colourful! I really love the Kaffe one, the purple minky will make it ever so cuddily too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I'm loving the Minky too and it's just perfect for the Kaffe Quilt.

      Delete
  21. Hi Rose, your great Splash of Color caught my eye..... and now I am curious of course! Will be most intrigued to hear the whole story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dione for visiting. The story continues as I finally finished the top this past weekend. The best ending would be if this quilt magically gets quilted.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.